The news of Christchurch yesterday is devastating. I wanted to just remind you to be mindful of your little ones when you are discussing this event. Little ears are always listening and it can be tricky for them to comprehend and understand. ( it is hard enough for us as adults!)
A few things to consider if your children are asking questions might be:
- Limit the amount of time they are watching the news with you.
- Be cautious of any media sites that may still have uncensored footage.
- Talk to them and explain that it happened in Christchurch ( show them a map and explain that it is a long way away)
- Talk about people who have an illness rather than terrorists. ( the word in itself is very scary).
- Do not dwell on the deaths and what has happened but dwell on the fact they have a lovely family and people who love them and that they are safe.
Here is a link to the MOE website with further advice and information: http://www.education.govt.nz/
I remember when the Christchurch earthquakes happened, many of our children ( especially the littlies) thought every time it was shown on the television it had happened again! This is a very serious attack and I am certainly not trying to minimize the situation but for our children, the information they receive needs to be at a level they are capable of understanding.
Have a good weekend and make sure you tell your children how much you love them.
Nga mihi nui